I've always been the artist type - fashion, drawing, anything creative. My attraction to photography was always there but I never really pursued it. A couple of years ago I caught my first glimpse of a digital slr camera in action and the images that it was capable of...the rest is history. When you can't imagine doing anything else than you know you are doing something right. I feel so fortunate to have found this artform that enhances my life and allows me to capture images that will enhance yours.

Friday, June 26, 2009

Hello! Are you there Natalie?

So I'm racking my brain trying to figure out how pull more clients out of the woodwork and I completely miss the opportunity handed to me. What a bonehead! I'm standing here at work and the perfect couple comes in asking about teeth whitening. (For those of you that don't know, I whiten teeth during the day to keep the bread on the table and pay for my expensive photography pursuit.)

So anyway, the woman proceeds to tell her boyfriend that she would love them to have their teeth done for their wedding. And I say...Oh congratulations and continue talking about the teeth whitening process to them. Could I be any more dense? I just gave myself a pep talk on needing to take the leap by asking people if I can take their pictures and I completely bombed. I didn't even think about asking them until they stepped out of the store. Then what was I supposed to do? Run through the mall with my white lab coat on and business card in hand screaming, can I take your pictures??? Ugh....lesson learned. Always be on the look out for prospective opportunities. And who knows...If I see them again today I just might turn into that crazy lady with the business card. What's the worst that could happen? I might get a weird look or some new clients!

2 comments:

  1. Don't be so hard on yourself! :) I booked my first wedding while dress shopping at a department store.. I helped the women next to me pick out a dress & found out that her daughter was getting married & gave her my card.... but this came a year and a half after I started! You're already ahead of the game! :) You're incredibly talented & just need the opportunity to get 'jump-started'.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Natalie! I know I need to lower my goal expectations. It helps to know other photographers have gone through similiar experiences though. I'm keeping my head up and always on the look out for new opportunities.

    ReplyDelete